Inclement Weather Notifications
Inclement weather is bound to occur each school year. Knowing in advance how FGSD makes decisions surrounding inclement weather issues and communicates its decisions can be very beneficial.
Please make sure that your contact information is current with the district. If you already have login information for your ParentVUE account, you can go in and click the “My Account” tab to check the information we have on file. You can modify e-mail addresses yourself, but if there’s a change in your telephone number(s) or address please let your child’s office manager know so they can update your record. If you have students at multiple schools, you only need to have one school make the change as there is just one master parent record for each parent in our student information system. If you do not yet have your ParentVUE login information, please contact your child’s school office and they will be happy to help you.
District information is shared through the following communication channels. Please be sure to follow FGSD on social media, bookmark district/school websites and sign up for alerts to ensure you receive the latest information.
- Facebook and Twitter - The District’s Facebook and Twitter pages are immediately updated when a weather delay/closure or other emergency message is sent out via FlashAlert. We will also use these sites to post additional information as needed.
- FlashAlert - FlashAlert is the system most local school districts and public agencies use to inform the media about weather-related delays, emergency situations and breaking news. You can subscribe to Flash Alert by visiting www.flashalert.net, clicking on View Local News, then Portland/Vanc/Salem, then Washington Co. Schools, then Forest Grove School District. Follow the steps to set up your account.
- District and school websites - All weather related information and updates will be placed in the “Recent News” section on the front page of the district and school websites.
How We Decide to Delay or Cancel School Due to Inclement Weather
In the event of disruptions to transportation services (school delayed start or closing) due to weather, the school district will notify the public through the emergency notification system and local media. Specific bus routes affected would be specified in the announcements.
The safety of students is the primary consideration for any decision regarding snow routes, delayed start, school cancellation or district closure. The superintendent consults with district facilities and transportation staff and regional agencies to make informed decisions regarding risk factors.
- Safety considerations include student drivers, student access to bus stops, students walking to/from school and all other aspects of transportation of students to school.
- The suitability of our facilities for occupation is carefully considered as well as the condition of local infrastructure.
Families will be contacted if school is delayed or canceled through the communication channels listed bellow.